Thursday, February 5, 2009

Flying Home

As I prepared to head for home this evening (I started this document while in flight), we weren’t confident of my father’s condition. He had showed signs of improvement every day, but from what we were told there was only mild confidence that he would recover. And here I am, a husband and father with my own familial responsibilities, but I am also a son who loves his dad. Deciding to go home to Seattle or to stay in Dallas was a decision I had to make, but also wanted to avoid making.

Just as I was leaving dad’s room Katherine and her sister, Nancy, met me at the nurse’s station. We conversed with one of dad’s physicians and the doctor was surprised to learn that we hadn’t been updated - Dad didn’t need a liver! In fact, his liver and kidney numbers were improving and he will likely have no long-term physical impacts from this!

Should I be amazed? Gabby had prayed for a miracle as had so many of us . . . and here it was.

So I left Dallas confident in my dad’s improvement and recovery. Still, a mixed heart for me though, as leaving beloved relations always excercises the emotions. And yet, I could not be more pleased to head home to Amy and the children.

And isn’t it interesting that I should have the privlige of being unemployed during this time? This period has allowed me the time to be with my beloved Amy, to be rethinking my career and motivations and desires, and to put my energies into other interests. Rather than a time to be agitated it has become a cherished time of reflection and recharge.

I’m more content than I’ve been in months. There is an excitement about every day that I haven’t felt in a long while. There is also an excitement about creating something new and changing the world growing within me.

So tonight I’m on a plane, thinking and reflecting on what lies ahead and feeling that something great and profound is just over the horizon. And, sure enough, it is - I’m going home to my family.

Love to all,

Mike

0 comments:

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com